Herself took the Nissan to an SCA demo in Ocala, and I'm not going to try moving full sheets of plywood with the Subaru. The past couple of times into the Lowe's where I'm buying my wood, their panel saw is down and so they can't pre-cut my wood for me. I'd have been willing to spend that for the convenience and the moving the wood via Subaru, but I'm not willing to spend the gasoline to find out the saw isn't working still.
Yesterday we put a replacement water tank into the system, out by the well head. There's two types of tank which can be used in a system such as ours; the old style which is galvanized and requires a "larger" tank to match capacity, and the new style which incorporates a pressurized bladder to match the pressure capacity of that larger tank. Our friends S & K, up the road and where we went to the recent celebrations, have a galvanized tank which has been there 30 years they've owned their place. No problems. We've gone through four bladder tanks now in the 18 years we've owned our place. Curious, neh?
Some of that may be that we've been putting in tansk too small in capacity for the load we've been working; we added a second tank to the system the second time we replaced a tank, as that increased capacity. Even so, those two tanks were still below the suggested rating, which I didn't know at the time, and which I've since studied up on.
Simple rule, actually. Count every fixture in the line, both inside the house(s) and outside. Ah, so then it adds up like this for us:
Big House - 11 fixtures
Studio 318 - 8 fixtures
Outdoors - 16 fixtures (4 tanks for livestock, 3 points for hogs, 9 hose bibs about)
Total - 34 fixtures. We need a minimum 86 gallon holding tank. Now, we've got one, plus the 30 gallon smaller tank which is still good, for a capacity of 106 gallons.
So far, it's all good. We no longer notice a surge in pressure when the pump comes on. With the larger storage capacity, the pump runs longer when it does come on, but cycles less frequently. Anyone of you reading this familiar with electrical motors will know that this should decrease the wear on the pump, as starting loads are significantly higher than running loads. So, fewer starting loads, less wear, and less demand on the grid, possibly lower electric bills to pump our water.
That's been my weekend (well, with some of the other entries) if you've been reading, and so today I plan on taking some time for myself. A wee bit of photography work, probably sorting and cataloging.